The court can order treatment for either mental health or addiction issues.

  • Mental health treatment

    If someone needs help for a mental disorder but doesn’t agree they need help, you can ask your local Mental Health Services to assess the person under the Mental Health (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act. If the assessments indicate that the person needs compulsory treatment, the Mental Health Service can apply to the Family Court for an order for compulsory treatment.

  • Addiction treatment

    In some cases, you can also ask the Family Court to order you or someone else to undergo addiction treatment for substance or alcohol abuse.

This page was last updated: