About the Review Officer
The Legal Complaints Review Officer:
- exercises the powers of review given to it by the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006 (external link)
- may promote the resolution of complaints or issues, by negotiation, conciliation, or mediation
- provides advice to the New Zealand Law Society, the New Zealand Society of Conveyancers and the Minister of Justice on any relevant issues identified while carrying out a review.
What the Legal Complaints Review Officer can help with
The Review Officer can:
- review all or part of a standards committee decision, investigation, or general treatment of complaints
- investigate (or decline to investigate further) all or part of a standards committee decision
- postpone a review so parties can consider resolving the matter
- exercise, for the purpose of any inquiry or investigation, all the powers of a standards committee.
What Orders the Legal Complaints Review Officer can make
In its final decision, the Review Officer can:
- confirm, modify or reverse the standards committee decision
- recommend the standards committee reconsider all or part of a matter
- lay a charge before the Lawyers & Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal
- direct the standards committee to lay a charge (that may also include an application to suspend) before the Lawyers & Conveyancers Disciplinary Tribunal.
The Review Officer may make an order:
- censuring a practitioner
- ordering an apology
- ordering compensation (up to $25,000)
- ordering a reduction, cancellation or refund of fees
- ordering a practitioner to rectify an error or to pay to have an error rectified
- imposing a fine (of up to $15,000)
- ordering that a practitioner's practice be made available for inspection
- ordering further education or training to be undertaken by a practitioner.
2016 annual report of the Legal Complaints Review Officer [PDF, 389 KB]
2015 annual report of the Legal Complaints Review Officer [PDF, 210 KB]
2014 annual report of the Legal Complaints Review Officer [PDF, 1.7 MB]
2013 annual report of the Legal Complaints Review Officer [PDF, 628 KB]
This page was last updated: