Make a claim

Before making a claim to the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal it's a good idea to read Consumer Protection’s information about how to resolve a problem with a motor vehicle, including their ‘Back on the road’ booklet, which covers your consumer rights when buying a vehicle.

Consumer Protection website(external link)

Back on the right road booklet(external link)

You might find it useful to talk to your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Community Law Centre.

Citizens Advice Bureau(external link)

Community Law Centre(external link)

Before you make a claim

If you make a claim to the tribunal – costs might be awarded against you if the tribunal thinks your claim is trivial or a claim is troublemaking.

If you’re sure that you have a legitimate claim against a trader, you need to write to or email the trader and set out clearly what you want and why you believe you are entitled to ask them to provide it. Keep a copy of your letter to the trader.

If you don't get a satisfactory reply from the trader within a reasonable time you can then make a claim to the tribunal.

How to make a claim

It costs $50 to make a claim to the tribunal.

You must give us:

  • the name and address of the motor vehicle trader (called the respondent in the application). If the respondent is a registered company or sole trader, you must give us their full name. You can check this by searching the Motor Vehicle Traders Register(external link)
  • a brief summary of your complaint
  • say what outcome you would like
  • if you want to reject the vehicle, a copy of the rejection letter you sent to the trader telling the trader you were rejecting the vehicle and your reasons
  • proof of purchase – a clear copy of the Vehicle Offer and Sale Agreement, and/or the receipt for the vehicle purchase
  • a copy of the Consumer Information Notice (also called the ‘window card’) supplied by the trader at the time of purchase
  • copies of technical reports to identify the vehicle’s faults and written quotes or estimates for the cost of repairs from repairers
  • the filing fee (cheques should be made out to the Ministry of Justice). You can no longer purchase “Domestic Money Orders” from NZ Post to pay for filing fees.   Please see link below. Alternative payment methods accepted include cheques, bank cheques, cash and EFTPOS at our counter.

     Search: money orders | New Zealand Post(external link)

If you can’t give us any of this information – then you must write the reason for not being able to on the form.

Fill in the form

Sign and date your application form and send it to us with your payment:

Application form [PDF, 314 KB]

Postal address:
Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal

This page was last updated: