How to apply for recognition of customary interests under the Marine & Coastal Area Act

The deadline for making an application is 3 April 2017

Two ways to apply

If you are an iwi, hapū or whānau group there are two ways to have your customary interests recognised. You can:

The tests for customary rights are the same whether the application has been made to the High Court or to the Crown.

Find out more about the tests under the Marine and Coastal Area Act

The government will help pay the costs of an application made through either pathway.

Find out more about getting help to fund your application 

All applications under the Act, whether to the Crown or the High Court, must be made by 3 April 2017.

This page was last updated: